Veterans Affairs Canada Dental Services
Canadian veterans are entitled to a variety of health care benefits, including dental treatment.
Region of Administration:
Veterans Affairs Canada
Veterans may qualify to receive financial support for treatment benefits, if they are:
- in receipt of a disability benefit;
- in receipt of services through the Veterans Independence Program;
- in receipt of financial assistance through the Long Term Care program; or
- in receipt of the War Veterans Allowance.
Provides coverage for basic dental care and some pre-authorized comprehensive dental services. Services provided should be both generally accepted practices and the most cost-effective treatment essential to good oral health.
VAC dental program covers up to 100% of the rates in the Provincial Dental / Denturist Association fee guide.
Examples of services that are covered:
- annual basic treatments up to $1500 annually
- exams, polish and fluoride treatments every 9 months
- scaling (8 units per year)
- fillings and extractions
- standard dentures once every 7 years
Examples of dental services that require pre-authorization from VAC: (Before any treatment is received a dental treatment plan is to be submitted to VAC for preauthorization.):
- basic treatment exceeding $1500 annually
- bridgework (x-rays required)
- specialist treatment (referral required)
- early replacement of dentures as determined by your dentist or denturist
Examples of services that are not covered:
- gum surgery
- equilibrated/custom/semi-precision dentures