Healthy Smiles Ontario
Healthy Smiles Ontario is a government-funded dental program that provides free preventive, routine, and emergency dental services for children and youth 17 years old and under from low-income households.
Region of Administration:
Government / Department:
Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
Your household is automatically enrolled in the program if you or your child receives benefits through:
- Ontario Works
- Temporary Care Assistance
- Ontario Disability Support Program
- Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities
Children are eligible for the program if they:
- Are 17 years of age and under
- live in Ontario
- come from a household with an income equal to or less than the levels in the table below
Income eligibility requirements:
Number of dependent children in your household / Family net income
1 child/ $22,070 or lower
2 child/ $23, 740 or lower
3 children/ $25,410 or lower
4 children/ $27,080 or lower
5 children/ $28, 750 or lower
6 children/ $30,420 or lower
7 children/ $32,090 or lower
8 children/ $33,760 or lower
9 children/ $35,430 or lower
10 or more children/ Add $1,670 for each additional dependent child to determine the income level at which your family would qualify for Healthy Smiles Ontario.
The program includes regular visits to a licensed dental provider and covers the costs of treatment including:
- urgent or emergency dental care
Cosmetic dentistry, including teeth whitening and braces, are not covered by the program.
Once your child is enrolled, they are covered:
- up to one benefit year (August 1st of the current year to July 31st of the following year), or
- up to their 18th birthday. If your child turns 18 during the benefit year, they’re no longer eligible.
If your child is in the program for emergency or essential care, they are covered for 12 months from the date of enrolment. Clients receiving emergency or essential care must re-enrol after 12 months.
Dentists, Dental Hygienists
Dentists, Dental hygienists
How it Works:
You can enroll in the program online or by mail.
Once your child’s enrolment is confirmed, you will get a Healthy Smiles Ontario dental card in the mail. You must present your card to your dental provider at each visit to receive services under the program.