Health Services Dental Program
This program assists clients of this department who are over the age of 19 with coverage for specific dental benefits that are not covered by other agencies or private health insurance plans. Benefits are negotiated with the New Brunswick Dental Society and the New Brunswick Denturists Society.
Region of Administration:
Government / Department:
Department of Social Development
This program is available to:
• Clients of this department and their dependants 19 years of age and older
• Individuals who have special health needs and who qualify for assisted health care under Section 4.4 of the Family Income Security Act and Regulations.
Clients must have one of the following:
•A valid white Health Services Card indicating “DENTAL” coverage in the BASIC HEALTH ELIGIBILITY section
• A valid yellow Health Services Card with a “Y” or an “X” under DENT in the VALID ONLY FOR box.
Additional benefit-specific eligibility criteria may apply.
This program is only available to clients who have no other dental coverage.
Coverage for children 18 years of age and under falls under the Healthy Smiles, Clear Vision Program administered by Medavie Blue Cross.
Benefits covered under this program are:
• Exams, x-rays
• Dentures and repairs
• Specific types of fillings
This program does not cover:
• Orthodontic services and appliances
• Fluoride treatment
• Root canals on posterior teeth
• Oral surgeries not specified in the contract with the NB Dental Society
Clients are eligible for a maximum of $1000 per year, excluding emergency and prosthetic services.
Clients will be charged a 30 per cent participation fee for dentures and denture repairs. Once a treatment plan has been determined the dental professional will advise of the amount payable. The participation fee is paid directly to the dental professional and may be required before dental services are provided.
With the exception of certain types of fillings, there is no cost to eligible clients for (all) other dental services.
This program cannot reimburse you for any dental services you pay for yourself.